Profile image for M_N_R

I've got to say that I am really peeved with the local town council. It is obvious now that any mention of their election as indepedent did not mean independence from main stream policies but indepence from their own town!
The Greyhound in Mid Norton is/was a thriving economy booster, plenty of employment and plenty of turnover. These sanctions imposed by these idiots in 'townhall' (thought I would keep it in a Whitehall sense to make themselves feel good) are yet another reason why they should be seriously looked at and not approached with apathy but caution. They have done nothing for the local area bar a few tasks which anybody with time could achieve, their job once elected was to promote our town centre through their highest powers given, not remain wishy washy with nice projects.
The Greyhound deserves to remain open it has answered to calls that tie its hands behind its back but for those hands to be tied by its own nominated governance is sickening.
Stand Up and Support the Greyhound, show your opposition as a voter and member of the community. The town is going to become a volunteer hub of 'i meant well' rather than a thriving town of businesses doing well.

By M_N_R at 23:13 on 17/04/12

• Profile image for Chutzpah84

Erm... I've obviously missed something here. What's happened to the Greyhound?

By Chutzpah84 at 23:22 on 17/04/12

• Profile image for M_N_R

Its closed "due to unfair and uncompetitive rulings by the local council"

By M_N_R at 23:23 on 17/04/12

• Profile image for CarlaEGale

What? The Greyhound is closing? but it's just had lots of work done both inside and out, and as it started offering lunch and free wifi was attracting more people to the town. Should we start a campaign to save it? Perhaps a town councillor could tell their side of the story.

By CarlaEGale at 11:34 on 18/04/12

• Profile image for hayleysev

yes i think we should start a campaign to save it def. when they say uncompetitive rulings what do they mean by this? i have seen lots of people before at the greyhound and when we have been in there its been so packed out and busy. why are things being closed for i dont agree with it. maybe we should start a petition or a campaign to save it i would be up for it.

By hayleysev at 12:27 on 18/04/12

• Profile image for LucyRE

What does the ruling by the council actually mean and what for? until we know why it has closed we are unable to do anything to help.This place was doing well to all extent so what was the problem ,someone needs to tell us.

By LucyRE at 17:51 on 18/04/12

• Profile image for methatrexate

What is going on? Is this just another pub closing as a result of the increasing economic hardship or has it closed due to unfair regulation? What are these regulations, if any, that have influenced the closure?

By methatrexate at 18:23 on 18/04/12

From what I can tell and see; it will have nothing to do with economic measures; we got to remember we are in quite a well off area in comparison with rest of UK; (average earnings etc) and well beer prices are very good (£6 for a pint in Bath; £3 average in norton); Restrictions were due to complaints about the pub; but complaints encouraged by half the councillors. Noise, smoking areas, lack of food, security... All dealt with now but its paid a price; a price that has been put on their heads by the council. I encourage people to start a petition, but also encourage people to act a little bit more out of the norm; petition's is note paper to politicians with agendas, vote with your feet and your voices. Hold them to account, ask them in high street of their motives and question their answers. They should have known when they elected themselves that power always equals protest. There is no doubt at all in any fact, Norton Town Council played a massive part in hurting a local business.
    For methatrexate, look at the licence stuff in the window, look at the posters on the door, ask down the road at mallards.

By M_N_R at 21:55 on 18/04/12

I think some restrictions come down to no entry after 12 and something to do with no drinks outside. Both of which are exclusive to the greyhound. Already some concerns over leaving your drink unattended when smoking?
    The major concern is that it's not a clamp down on drinking its a clamp down on an individual business. I think the best case is for a councillor on here to state the reasons why, who complained, who they complained too, what actions did they take and who was consulted during this process.

By M_N_R at 12:01 on 19/04/12

• Profile image for Chutzpah84

As opposed to randomly moaning online, why not use the official process and submit a freedom of information request? You can do it online... http://tinyurl.com/cmax77w

By Chutzpah84 at 13:30 on 19/04/12

Already done; but random moans can make the world go round. And it's this website that asks if your cranky at the council? Answer yes, conclusion letting people know and done freedom of info stuff earlier. But sorry I will let you get back to the more pressing issues involving norton

By M_N_R at 17:11 on 19/04/12

• Profile image for The Moody Goose

Hello
    I would just like to introduce myself as one of the people who approached one of the local councillors for support in relation to Greyhound Pub.
    The reason that I am joining this discussion, is that I have no agenda but to relay a few facts which I feel the people in the discussion at the moment may not be aware of and it may help answer a few questions and doubts about what actually has happened......
    I live and work in close proximity to The Greyhound when I found out The new Landlord from the Mallards in the high st was taking it on I was really pleased....because he lifted the image of Mallards and managed it to a high standard etc fantastic for Midsomer Norton! He did a fantastic makeover of the Greyhound BUT unfortunately it is a very difficult job to reverse the difficult element of irresponsible drinking and late night drinking issues that have been notorious to the Greyhound for an extremely long time! And it continued.....this was not the new managements fault....just what a lot of town centres are seeing of binge drinking, irresponsible, dangerous behaviour.
    Like I suspect the majority of people, I wasn't sure who/how to talk to to see if anything at all could be done...and like a lot of residents...if it got out of hand the police were called...as they are in Midsomer Norton weekends I just left it to them to sort out the mess created...but the time came when a neighbour of mine told me that the greyhound wanted to increase its opening hours .... He had spoken to a local councillor with regards to this and if I wanted to tell her my issues I could contact her...I DIDN'T HESITATE....as when you know that something is fundamentally going to upset and cause trouble and hurt you, your family and your local community, your instinct is to protect and take care of the environment around you!
    So that's how i got involved...the fact is the Greyhound were given the licence that they asked for by the Licencing Committee, but in doing so, the the Licensing Committee hearing the concerns which our local councillor put forward extremely well on our behalf with a strong local resident and business support along side.
    The Licencing Committee made the conditions to the licence granted to lesson the noise and anti-social behaviour the longer opening hours would have on the surrounding local community. Not ideal from a residents perspective I can tell you but a considered compromise! The conditions were accepted by The Greyhounds landlord and their solicitor....and they did not appeal against them they could have done this. So the fact is as I see it, and please correct me if I am wrong....is that the keys have been handed back to the Brewery for the reason only the previous landlord knows and that is his business...the conditions were not unjust as they were set out and agreed with by all parties concerned, residents and businesses were listened too with the help of our local councillor. And i do feel that we should respect the commitment and sheer amount of work that these people do on Our behalf for us and our community..remember they don't get paid for this they care about Midsomer Norton! Use them to help you if you have a problem! Equally if you have any ideas you think would help Midsomer Norton move forward in a positive way just tell them! Better still take an interest and get involved!
    Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope it gives a small insight into how we should all work and talk together.
    Jen

By The Moody Goose at 14:34 on 20/04/12

• Profile image for CarlaEGale

Thanks for that Jen!

By CarlaEGale at 16:39 on 20/04/12

I do know the councillors work hard but I also know they use the moody goose a lot. Now anti social behaviour records for towns of our size is very low; the police and support officers do a lot of hard work and commitment; some is unpaid and also cuts in their services. They keep the problems down by policing the issues and that should be praised. And unjust conditions can be made if someone is forced ino it.

By M_N_R at 18:42 on 20/04/12

But in reality; it seems that the jury is agreed on this. So I'm not wasting my breath or thumbs. I will encourage people to sign the petition and get it sent to the council. So watch this space.

By M_N_R at 18:47 on 20/04/12

I would just like to clarify that I have absolutely no problem that a petition is being raised...can I ask as a resident in the near vicinity what the petition is for?? Is it to lift the conditions set out by the Licensing committee on the Greyhound ? Pls advise as I would welcome the opportunity to discuss it in person with you to see if we could work together towards a considered agreement between all sections of the interested community that would welcome the involvement.....as if we all stand together, even better if the new landlord could come on board I am sure it could work.....as this was tried before and not taken up which was such a waste of a well intended opportunity.
    I sense that you feel that I am biased in some way...with your comment that 'I know they (the councillors), use the Moody Goose a lot.' For your information to date in the last year I have served 2 councillors...(both with friends or family) only a couple of times each..and between me and you...and now the rest of Midsomer Norton I think they should be given a hefty dining out expenses by the government so they could...in your words...come out a lot!! I pick up that you are in someway angry at the local councillors and feel you have to 'have a dig at their expense...why are you wasting your energy like this you obviously want to be heard that's why you are on this site...so now do what they do take that interest further...make a difference and let's get together and work together...yes,we may sometimes in the future have differences of opinion...but that's healthy! Be brave..get in touch....I wait for your call. Please call.
    Jen

By The Moody Goose at 23:08 on 20/04/12

Don't worry I will call

By M_N_R at 09:52 on 21/04/12

I look forward to hearing from you
    Best regards
    Jen

By The Moody Goose at 12:22 on 21/04/12

• Profile image for LucyRE

I hope this mess can be sorted out, it's good we now know the reason for the closure. We have to work together as it isn't good for Midsomer Norton to have an empty Greyhound. Why are not the other pubs affected by the same restrictions and thank you Moody Goose for being so straight forward. We hope to see a compromise in the future and the pub reopened.

By LucyRE at 13:32 on 21/04/12

• Profile image for TheRightStuff

I think that the door staff have a lot to do with why no-one wants to go in the greyhound anymore. Ive watched several people be refused entry for no reason, attacked, thrown into the street, even the people inside the pub felt nervous that if they so much as spilt a drink they would be removed (i saw a couple complain to the bar staff and then leave!) Its not the kind of place you would go to have a good time.
    But even though its the same company doing the door at both The grethound and Mallards, you dont see people being refused entry, infact, the people that are refused entry in the greyhound are then greeted with open arms at mallards 20 mins later.

And all this was going on BEFORE the new licence was put into place...makes you think, buying the rival pub, running it into the ground, then blaming the council...

By TheRightStuff at 16:42 on 24/04/12

• Profile image for Opt_Prime

I have been following this link with interest. Its excellent to see it back open and therightstuff is milking it a little; I have been down the pub for the last couple of weekends and I havent see any problems; but I must admit it's such a 'shock' that some people will complain... like it never happens in norton or on here either. And also if you've watched several people get attacked, why didnt you phone the police?
    This whole thing about buying a rival pub, running into the ground, blaming council makes me think along with you watching the pub; you have too much time on your hands!!!

By Opt_Prime at 10:29 on 06/05/12

• Profile image for the_greyhound

Hello everyone, My name is Marcus Trethewey and I am the new owner of The Greyhound. I am just curious as to where this petition is and if it is still about, how many people have signed and what it is you're actually petitioning against..? If some one could fill me in then that would be great.

Also, as part of the licence we are obligated to hold a meeting with local residents every quarter. The next meeting will be held at The Greyhound on the 8th February at 7:30pm. These meetings are a great chance for any concerned residents or people from the town to come and get to know me and discuss any issues they have with the pub or how it is being run. If anyone would like to contact me, my number is 01761 416 640.

Cheers.

By the_greyhound at 13:04 on 05/01/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent